Services for individuals

Our specialists will offer comprehensive and pragmatic advice that is tailored to your requirements. They will always communicate with you in a clear and timely way.

We can help you in the following areas:


Asbestos Related Claims

Asbestos is a material which was used a lot in the 1930’s in homes, construction sites, engineering sites etc. You may have realised after years that you have been affected by asbestos, but this should not deter you from making a claim.

In recent years, DWP posted a press release confirming the amount for asbestos claims has been increased by at least £7,000. This is because they are becoming more aware of how serious this issue is and are pressing the matter harder.

If you have been in contact with asbestos, you will be able to make a claim.


Here are a number of asbestos related diseases:

Did you know an estimated 125 million people worldwide remain at risk of occupational exposure to asbestos.



Assisting Landlords

As a landlord, it is essential that you are aware of your rights and obligations before entering into a tenancy agreement.

Ensuring the right documents are provided

If you do not provide your tenant with the correct documents before the tenancy starts, then you may not be able to evict the tenant under section 21. This means, where landlords have a right to evict tenant’s with 2 months-notice, this right will not apply as the relevant procedure was not followed.

Ensuring the tenancy agreement is valid

If you tenancy agreement has unfair clauses in it, the whole contract may be deemed void which means you may not be able to pursue your tenant for non-payment. This will also prevent the landlord from evicting the tenants.

It is essential that the tenancy agreement is checked over for a legal professional. We can help make sure your tenancy agreement is fair and also protects you in the best way possible.

Evicting tenant under section 8

If your tenant has not paid rent for 2 months or more, you have a right to evict your tenants. This is only the case if you provide your tenant with a valid section 8 notice. If the notice does not comply with the rules, it will not be valid which may mean you end up losing money on a claim.

Following the notice, you can make an application to the court for the eviction.

At Shaar Bridge Solicitors, we can draft the notice and make the application for you. We will deal with everything from A to Z including any hearings which will need to be attended.

Evicting tenant under Section 21

Provided that all rules  have been followed before the tenancy, you may be able to evict your tenant as long as you give them 2 months-notice.

To evict your tenants under section 21, you need to serve a valid section 21 notice. If the notice is not valid, you will have to serve it again, giving another 2 months. It is important the notice is drafted correctly.

You can then make an accelerated possession claim to the court which will carefully need to be drafted for particulars and all the relevant documentation. We can do this for you at Shaar Bridge to ensure everything is done correctly and smoothly.



Assisting Tenants

As a tenant moving into a private rented property, you have a number of rights and responsibilities, just like your landlord. These rights and responsibilities are often defined in your tenancy agreement so, if you’re unsure, this should be the first port of call.


Below we have listed what a tenant should do before the tenancy starts. If some of these obligations are not met at the start of entering a tenancy agreement, then some rights which may come useful at a later stage, will be invalid.


  • Check a list of things to do before signing tenancy agreement

  • Check the terms of tenancy agreement are fair

  • Ensure your landlord provides you with Energy Performance Certificate and ‘How to Rent’ guide

  • Check if your deposit is to be protected with the government deposit scheme

  • Ensure property is safe and healthy to move in


Even with all relevant documentations in place, there might be disputes between landlord and tenant, and your landlord can evict you without your fault by giving 2-month notice.



Civil Litigation

When two or more parties become embroiled in a legal dispute seeking money or another specific performance rather than criminal sanctions, civil litigation is the result. They must instead head to the courtroom for trial so a judge can decide the matter.


As litigation process can be time consuming, costly and complex, it is essential that legal advice is sought at the earliest possible opportunity.


Civil litigation encompasses a broad range of disputes, and several common areas include:


  • Debt Recovery Claim

  • Breach of Contract

  • Partnership Disputes

  • Employment Disputes

  • Landlord/Tenant Disputes

  • Personal Injury & Medical Negligence Claims 


We represent clients of all types of general civil litigation matters for both plaintiffs and defendants.



Making a claim against your employer is not an easy job…

Have you been dismissed from work? Or do you feel you are being bullied and harassed at work? Perhaps you think the conduct of your employer has been wrong and you have left our work place as a result?

Shaar Bridge Solicitors can help you make a claim against your employer and receive a compensatory award from the way in which matters were handled.

Unfair dismissal

If you have been dismissed from work and you feel this was not for the right reasons or your employer did not follow the correct procedure, you can make a claim against your employer.

To calculate your award for your claim, we would cover your unfair dismissal, loss of earnings, distress and other factors to ensure you get the maximum payment possible.


Do you feel you were incorrectly made redundant and not paid the relevant amount? You can make a claim to the Tribunal. We can assist in ensuring your claim form is filled in correctly and will help calculate figures.


Discrimination at work is increasing and a lot of employees are not aware of their rights. We will help make a claim against your employer and ensure you are aware of your rights especially if you are continuing to work in the same place under these circumstances.

We encourage people to come forward and maintain their rights as employees as we know this can be a daunting process. 

Bullying and Harassment

Statistics say that nearly 1 in 3 people feel they get bullied at work. Bullying and harassment is absolutely not acceptable and at Shaar Bridge, we are firm believers in a happy working environment.

If you feel you are not being treated right at work, you can make a claim against your employer. We ensure our clients understand the importance of raising such issues and not letting employers get away with such a thing.

Constructive dismissal

You may find you are unhappy at work because of the way you are being treated or because of the conduct of your employer. Under such circumstances, you feel you have to choice but to leave.

If this is the case, you can make a claim for constructive dismissal.


Did you know although there is a cap on how much money can be claimed from employment tribunal’s, if the tribunal judge thinks fit, the cap can be lifted and an award would be made based on the circumstances of the case.




Ending your marriage or civil partnership can be an emotional, worrying and difficult time. It could involve financial proceedings, arrangements for childcare and maintenance also. We know this and we will be there for you throughout the whole process.


Services we offer are:

  • Divorce petition

  • Injunctions in divorce

  • Financial proceedings – consent order or financial order

  • Arrangement for childcare and maintenance

  • Arrangement for mediation


Considering that family matters are personal and private, we will ensure your privacy and keep any and all information relating you and your family in high confidential. We promise to give you non-judgmental and supportive advice that you can trust for the entire process.




As non-British citizen, coming to the UK to work, study or join family members can be stressful and daunting as you would need a valid visa which is never easy to get and time consuming. You will need to be well prepared financially and in documentation to persuade Home Office that you need a certain type of visa to come to the UK.


Also, in the uncertainty of Brexit, you will need to know the changing rules and regulations which might affect your status in the UK.


Services we offer are:

  • Tier 1 (Investor) Visa

  • Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) Visa

  • Tier 1 (Innovator/Start Up) Visa

  • Tier 2 (General Work) Visa

  • Tier 4 (Child/General Student) Visa

  • EU Settlement Visa

  • Spouse Visa

  • Permanent Residency

  • UK Citizenship and Passport

  • Immigration Appeal and Judicial Review Application

We are confident in all types of visa applications, with a great success rate.


Motoring Law/Traffic Offences

Some people tend to deal with motoring offences without seeking legal advice, and most of the time, this ends up a car crash…

At Shaar Bridge Solicitors we deal with a number of motoring offences and are here to help you should you find yourself in such a situation.

We cover a number of offences including, but not limited to:

  • Speeding

  • Driving whilst on the phone

  • Driving without a license, tax, MOT or insurance

  • Dangerous/reckless driving

  • Failing to provide information

  • Driving without due care and attention

  • Failing to stop and report


We know how important driving is for some individuals and it is our job to ensure we get you the best possible results.

How can we help?

With motoring offence, it is important that we establish three points.

  1. Whether the offence did take place and if it was you,

  2. If so, under what circumstances did this happen, and

  3. The best way to relay your story to prosecution to ensure any consequences are reduced as much as possible.


We understand that it may be a very emotional and daunting experience to go through. For this reason, we ensure we take that stress of your shoulders and deal with the matter in a way which will make it an easy and smooth process for you.


Did you know last year, 1.3 million people were prosecuted at the Magistrates Court for driving offences, most of which were not legally represented.



Personal Injury and

Medical Negligence

You may think making a personal injury/medical negligence claim is a real pain in the neck, so let your solicitors be the ones to break a leg…

Personal Injury

If you have suffered a personal injury, whether at work or on the road, we are here to help.

Personal injury does not only cover physical injury, it also covers mental injury, loss of earnings, emotional impact and other elements which all contribute to the compensation award you can get. When making a claim for you, we will try and obtain the maximum compensation available to you.

What we cover:

Road traffic accidents

If you were involved in a road traffic accident, we can assist you in ensuring you receive compensation for any injuries you may have had.

Accident at work

Sometimes, people are concerned about making a claim against their employer, but we are here to reassure you this is your right. Your employer’s insurance should deal with the matter separately and this should not impact you at work.

We can assist you by making a claim for your injuries at work.

Public place

Have you sustained an injury in a public place? You can make a claim for your injuries and loss of earnings. We can make a claim for you and ensure you get the compensation you deserve.


Did you know In 2017, the Claims Management Regulator cancelled 45 licences and issued 252 warnings to Personal Injury Claims Management Companies, due to poor service and practice. It is therefore essential that you instruct an experienced solicitor to deal with your personal injury matter to ensure you obtain good service and maximum compensation.


Medical Negligence

Medical negligence is where your doctor or another medical professional has made a mistake or failed their duty of care leading to injuries.

If this is the case, you can make a claim against the medical professional and we can help you make a claim to obtain your rightful compensation.

No win no fee

At Shaar Bridge, we provide a no win no fee service on our personal injury claims. This means that we will do all the work and try our best to get you to maximum amount of compensation, but if you do not win the case, you will not have to pay us.

We only take our fees if you win the case.


Did you know the NHS paid around £2.6billion towards medical negligence claims last year.




Losing someone you love is always difficult. In addition to the emotional aspect, dealing with the deceased’s estate (e.g. collecting saving money, property, investments and paying bills and taxes) can be a daunting prospect.


Services we offer are:


  • Obtaining a Grant of Probate or Letters of Administration

  • Paying Inheritance Tax

  • Estate distribution to beneficiaries


Why you need solicitor’s advice?


You can administer the deceased’s estate on your own as an executor or a next of kin, however the administration of an estate can often be a time consuming and complex process especially when you have to deal with larger estates and there’s no Will left by the deceased.


There are some situations when you would need solicitor’s advice if:


  • There are doubt about the validity of the Will

  • The deceased died without a Will and it is a complicated or larger estate to administer

  • The estate has complex arrangements, such as assets held in a trust

  • The estate includes foreign property or foreign assets

  • The value of the estate is over the Inheritance Tax threshold and has to pay the Inheritance Tax to HMRC

  • There are disputes among beneficiaries


Shaar Bridge Solicitors can help you by removing the burden of the legal work during this difficult time. We deal with all types of estates, from the straightforward to the most complex. We will ensure that all the wishes of the deceased are carried out according to the deceased’s Will as quickly and cost efficiently as possible.



Property Disputes

If you are involved in a property dispute with another business or an individual, you would be aware of how this could be a lengthy and stressful process. Due to the complexity of such cases, we suggest that businesses understand all aspects of the dispute and what they need to do to resolve this. In order to know this, you will need a solicitor to advise you.

Understanding the dispute

Property litigation matters tend to be very complex and lengthy which often misleads the party and they misunderstand what the problem is, making it difficult to resolve the matter. At Shaar Bridge, we sit down with our clients and carefully analyse the whole situation. Once we have done this, we then explain the options of dealing with this.

Property Litigation

Property litigation is where you enter into proceedings with another party about the dispute of a property. This could be a number of things, including:

- Boundary disputes
- Division of the property
- Ownership of the property
- Condition of property


Resolving Neighbour Disputes

If you are having problems with your neighbor, whether that be boundary issues or noise and trespassing, Shaar Bridge Solicitors can help you resolve the matter.

We are able to give you advice and write to your neighbor where it is appropriate. We understand that it can be a sensitive matter and for this reason, we deal with these matters very carefully.


It is often suggested that mediation and resolving the matter with your neighbor in an informal fashion is the best way forward. We recommend that you seek advice before agreeing to mediation and it may be worth each party instructing a solicitor and for the solicitors to assist with a resolution.

Taking neighbour to court

Sometimes trying to resolve matters with your neighbor does not go down too well, or you may know what your neighbor is like and for that reason, making a claim to the court will be the best way forward.

At Shaar Bridge, we ensure that all communication is through us which means you will not have to deal with the matter any longer. We try to make sure you are stress free by doing all the work and updating you with what we will be doing to take your matter further.




Your Will tells people what should happen to your estate (e.g. property, money, possessions and investments) after you die, which will give your family instructions what to do with your estate after you die.


Services we offer are:


  • Will writing - single & joint

  • Estate planning including lasting powers of attorney

  • Trust and asset distribution advice

  • Inheritance Tax advice


Why you need a Will


If you die without a Will, it could be difficult for your family to sort out your estate. Your estate will be shared out according to the rules of intestacy under which only married partners, civil partners and certain close relatives can inherit your estate. This might not be as you wished.

Making a Will without using a solicitor can result in mistakes or something not being clear, especially if you have several beneficiaries or your finances are not straightforward and complicated.


Shaar Bridge Solicitors can help you by drafting and/or amending your Will as you wish or by checking whether your Will is legally valid.


Contact Shaar Bridge

Shaar Bridge is recognised as one of Hertfordshire's leading law firms, providing comprehensive legal services to commercial and private clients. We welcome you to get in contact and discuss any legal issues you have free of charge with an initial consultation.

Shaar Bridge Solicitors Ltd. 26 Mill Street, Bedford, MK40 3HD

01234 810786 |

26 Mill Street, Bedford,

MK40 3HD

01234 810786

Opening Hours: 9:00am - 5:30pm

  • Instagram
  • Black LinkedIn Icon
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

© 2020 Shaar Bridge Solicitors Limited